Saturday, August 7, 2010

Typical Saturday Morning and Books

This is what a typical Saturday morning looks like at the Harker house. I have a wonderful husband who makes me a wonderful breakfast every Saturday or Sunday. Usually my breakfast champion makes me pancakes even though he is not a pancake lover himself. And they are the best, fluffy pancakes ever. Matt wrote out the recipe for a couple of missionaries that requested it when we lived in Saskatoon and three years later it was still being passed down from one missionary to the next. Almost whenever he would introduce himself to a new missionary they would say "Is that your pancake recipe?!" (Or "You're in the quartet!" He was also famous for his angel voice, the quartet he belonged to was the musical pride of the whole stake).


And that is Tolstoy's War and Peace on the table. It's 1300 pages of amazing. I've decided to stick to reading huge books for a while because I tear through thinner ones too quickly. I like small books too but usually they feel like a snack that whets my appetite for a whole meal. Generally a book that allows me to feel engrossed in a different world for a longer period of time leaves me more satisfied for longer afterwards. I recently devoured 800 pages of Dickens' David Copperfield which is also incredible. Uriah Heep is a masterpiece.

And as you can see from the picture Jonas has inherited my love of reading as well (that makes me feel unspeakably smug) and even Matt has been inspired to like reading since I introduced him to a friend of mine named Harry Potter in 2005. Usually Matt and I adopt one another's interests wholeheartedly and reading is no different. When I recommend a book I think he'll like, he usually reads it and sometimes likes it so much (most recently Treasure Island and Hounds of the Baskervilles) that if I don't have a book I'm equally engrossed in at the same time I can't help feeling a touch jealous.

To quote Arthur, a children's cartoon Jordan and I watched at 7 a.m. every morning while eating our supper after finishing our night shift at Wal-mart, "having fun isn't hard, when you've got a library card". (Except having a library card to nearly any other library in Canada, excluding Gibbons, would be infinitely superior to Lloydminster's).

3 comments:

  1. Notice the Futureshop flyer on the table. Essential for any Saturday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But just for browsing...not looking to buy right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this cute post - I really do think that Jonas is reading!!! I concur on the huge page count - I'm still sad when these BIG books end. Royall, I LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete