Sunday, July 4, 2010

Amazing II


No, I haven't lost my mind and decided to paint my bathroom hot pink. That is the tinted primer for the paint color it will be, it's named "Amazing" and it is an amazingly rich red. Matt and I are painting the basement, the bedrooms are a beautiful silver (or what I imagine silver would look like if it wasn't metallic) and the rest will be a dove grey. We thought that since we would need to buy a special kind of paint to protect the bathroom walls from moisture we might as well experiment with a new color and we chose my favorite color- red.

This is a sample of the dialogue between us as we've been painting:

Me: I feel like I'm painting a Mexican restaurant.

Matt: Royall, you're painting your house.

Me: Maybe I should have gone with a muted, sophisticated teal to get my color fix rather than a gutsy love-it-or-hate-it red.

Matt: Do you love it or hate it?

Me: I won't know until the bathroom is finished. Right now I hate it. I'm not supposed to like it yet, am I?

Matt: I'd be worried if you did.

Me: It might be hard for guests to do their makeup in here with the red radiating off the walls.

Matt: You don't want your guests to look better than you anyway.

Me: I don't?

Matt: Nope.

As you can see our conversations about the basement bathroom are a pattern of doubtful statements from me and reassuring ones from Matt. Maybe it is because my parents never repainted a single room in a single house aside from a small bathroom on our acreage but paint feels incredibly permanent to me. Especially red paint. We've only painted the primer, one coat of paint and sanded once so it is a few coats from finished. Hopefully I can live with the end result.

3 comments:

  1. You are SO brave! Red is a bold statement! I love the conversation you had with Matt. Hopefully it doesn't take too many coats to get it the colour you want. And hopefully you like it because painting over red is like DEATH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all I have to say is thank you Royall, I did not know how I could have put on a smile and say I love the pink bathroom, but I know I will love the red bathroom. My favorite part of my house is my red fireplace. I hope you love it. If you need any help painting your basement let me know. mark and I have lots of experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will love the red. My office was red for a few years.. and it wasnt so bad to paint over when I decide it was time for a change. I went to a robin's egg blue, with no primer or anything over the red and it covered great!!

    ReplyDelete