Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Slam Dunk?

Jonas has been sleeping in his big boy bed for a couple weeks and so far so good. There was a bit of a problem when he discovered he could come out of bed of his own free will. He would open his door, give Matt or I a cheeky grin and then run and hop back into his bed. A (mostly) child-proof door knob cover fixed that. Then he tried switching his wake up time to 5 a.m. every morning. We're still dealing with this one but mostly we've been letting him cry and put himself back to sleep before we go in at a more reasonable 5:45 or 6 a.m. 

So we were feeling ready to check another transition off the list: taking away his soother.  I've been suspicious lately that he was getting more attached to soo-soo and that it would keep getting correspondingly harder to take it away. So we made a clean break on Sunday and besides crying for a few minutes before tucking himself into bed sometimes it has been rather uneventful. Slam dunk? (Isn't it adorable he finally gives up and tucks himself carefully into bed like he did yesterday when I took this picture?)

Now I can start thinking about another problem I need to solve before the twins come. How on earth do you get your child to obey you when you tell them to come to you? I spent five highly amusing minutes, for Jonas and spectators, chasing him while he giggled delightedly at the library today. I finally had to hide behind a bookshelf and spring out at him, which he thought was so gut-wrenchly hilarious that he collapsed on the library floor laughing uproariously. Monkey!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad for you that Jonas didn't fight the soo-soo thing. I gave up with Hailey and gave it back to her until this last tooth is through.... so soon we will have to deal with the trauma again :(

    As for the obedience thing... I have no idea... Hailey has always listened so well but I didn't have anything to do with that... it is just her personality. I bet Quinn will give me a run for my money :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I read this article recently and thought it was really interesting... I will probably plan on reading the book at some point...

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204740904577196931457473816.html?fb_ref=wsj_share_FB_bot&fb_source=profile_oneline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Royall!!!! Hey I stumbled upon your blog through Becky J.'s and I was SO excited to see your having Twins!!! Now that you live so close we need to hang out. Let's do dinner or a play date sometime OK. Talk to you soon...

    ReplyDelete