Sunday, March 18, 2012

Diaper Shower, the cutest sweaters ever, and finally a belly picture...

These two AMAZING woman threw the babies and I a diaper shower yesterday!
It was a funny coincidence that within a day of finding out I was having twins Karen, Mom Harker and I started reading the same twin book. 
The author says one of the most important pieces of advice she can give is to throw a diaper party because twin babies go through a staggering $1600 worth of diapers a year. 
Karen and Mom Harker took that advice to heart and started planning!




So Karen and Mom Harker rounded up as many people as they could to celebrate the babies and put a dent in the diaper supply we would soon be needing! There were fun games, wonderful food and lots of visiting and present opening at my house.

Dad Harker did the math after the shower to find that we had amassed a whopping 2686 diapers! 
In addition to lots of beautiful homemade blankets, stacks of onesies/sleepers, and the two most adorable handknit sweaters- made of course by Mom Harker. 
As my Mom said those sweaters could not be any cuter!

It was so special to witness so much support and love yesterday from so many people! And many more people who weren't close enough to come have sent me wonderful messages of support and congratulations! This family is so blessed!

Truthfully I feel weird about belly pictures but I feel like I should have at least one from each pregnancy so this is it!
When I was pregnant with Jonas people teased me that I couldn't be pregnant because I didn't start to show until 5 months. And then people would marvel I was so small.
I told Karen I love when people tell me my belly looks way too tiny to be holding twins because people sure won't commenting on me looking tiny before when we all assumed it was one baby!

And maybe it is too gross to mention but there is an awful phrase one reads over and over on twin websites and in books- "twin skin" or the inability of skin to stretch for two babies without showing some less than pretty effects!
Well, I realize that the "stretch marks" I started to get when I was about to go overdue with Jonas (and cried over one day) were in fact cute little stretch dots. What I have now are legit stretch marks!

But somehow it hasn't really bothered me. I think I'm so determined those babies won't come out too early and need NICU care and that they'll reach a good 5 pounds or so each that superficial worries like smooth skin really don't matter in comparison!


Mom had an activity planned for her seniors on Saturday but she went through all the work of preparing ahead and finding other staff members to cover the event for her so she could be in Lethbridge with me. It was so nice to have my Mom come. She always takes such good care of me (I wouldn't have any clothes that fit anymore if it weren't for her!)

2 comments:

  1. wow that is a lot of diapers, sad I could not be there but will remember when putting together your gift how many diapers you will be going through. You look beautiful like always. Oh and those sweaters are to die for your mother in law is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Royall, it was such fun planning and then having the diaper party! I hope you got caught up on your rest yesterday. I loved knitting the sweaters, and look forward to more knitting for your cute boys!

    ReplyDelete