Wednesday, June 3, 2009

21 Day Experiment

Background Info:
Last night at the movies (UP! which I really enjoyed), I was reading the ingredients label on my package of skittles when I realized that I only recognized two of the ingredients, sugar and corn syrup, both of which are unhealthy for my body. In response to the overwhelming amount of processed food I eat, I decided to create an experiment. I will only eat whole, unprocessed foods for the next three weeks. Or in other words, foods in their natural (and recognizable) form as opposed to their canned/boxed/packaged form (that reminds me of Dad telling me that you never really know what is in a hotdog- ominous, but I enjoyed them nonetheless).

Objective:
I want to see how my body feels without artificial ingredients, refined sugars, refined flour, and preservatives for twenty-one days. I think eating whole foods will make me more mindful of what I am eating because I will have to carefully choose my food instead of grabbing what is readily available. And as an added benefit, it will be good cooking practice to make recipes from scratch and to use spices instead of store bought condiments and sauces.

Hypothesis:
Eating whole, fresh foods will make my body feel healthy and energized.

Materials:
Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, free range meat, dairy, and spices.

Procedure:
1. Do not shop the center grocery aisles. Go to the farmers market on Saturdays.
2. Create a three week meal plan.
3. Learn to cook with wholesome unprocessed foods.

Observations: To follow.

Conclusion: To follow.

5 comments:

  1. haha oh I love the lesson plan format! That made my night

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew a fellow teacher could appreciate. My mind is in lesson plan overload right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. royall, I can totally relate. My poor kids are deprived of treats. Nothing but oats and seeds and berries over here :-) I can email you some great lentil recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes please, I would appreciate any recipes. I need more ideas for meals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarra's not joking...my grandchildren think a whole bell pepper is a treat and that all smoothies have green bits (spinach)! Bless their healthy little souls.

    ReplyDelete