Sunday, June 14, 2009

New Bike




As far back as I can remember I have always loved riding bikes. My parents have a video of me when I was 2 living in Guelph, having the time of my life riding down the smallest little hill on my trike. When I was a little older living at 27 woodland drive in Lacombe, I would constantly ask my mom if I could ride to the corner of my block and back so I could ride my bike with training wheels for 2 minutes. I made my first school friend, Kelly, solely due to the fact that we were the only the kindergarteners who rode their bikes to school. I was always riding around on my bike growing up and I loved going to gopher hill to catch some sweet jumps. In high school I guess I didn't need my bike anymore since we lived right across the street from the school and Dan and I had taken up skateboarding to fill the after school hours.
All my early years of practice paid off when I was called on my mission to Japan. In my mission you were on your bike everyday all day. Kobe was the craziest since the whole city was on a hill and you were always going either up or down. My trainer Elder Nuttall took me to a bike shop on my first week in Japan where I bought the Specialized "Hardrock". I loved this bike the entire time I was in Japan and I never had single problem with it the whole 2 years (not even a flat tire which is quite the feat if you ask any Japan RM's). Since the Bike was pretty much brand new still at the end of my mission, I gave it to a lucky missionary who was starting his mission in Japan just as I was leaving.
When my parents gave me some money for a new bike to ride to work as a grad present I already knew the one that I wanted. Royall found the new and improved Specialized "Hardrock" in the jungle of bikes at Bow Cycle in Calgary and I knew I had to have it. We were going to go to some other bike stores but it would have been a waste of time. I had already taken this one on a very long test ride a few years ago, and it never let me down.

Matty

No comments:

Post a Comment