Saturday, October 30, 2010

Mary had a little lamb...




little lamb, little lamb,
Mary had a little lamb
its fleece was white as snow.






Everywhere that Mary went,
Mary went, Mary went,
everywhere that Mary went
the lamb was sure to go.









Lamby went to Trunk-or-treat,
Trunk-or treat, Trunk or-treat,
Lamby went to Trunk-or-treat 
which made him late for bed!

I was originally planning to be Little Bo-peep but I wasn't able to find a shepherds crook so Mary it was. I made my costume within 24 hours using all things I already owned excluding my three clothing purchases. I saved the stockings and "shoes" (which are really those strange ballet flat socks) from my pile of dust rags, sewed the sun hat into a bonnet, turned in the collar and cuffs of my striped shirt to make a jacket, made tissue flowers and felt leaves for my belt, layered a couple of my summer skirts and completed the costume with ribbons and bows. I had to be resourceful and I had to go on my own inspiration (try, actually on second thought don't try, typing "mary had a little lamb" or "little bo-peep" in google and one look at all the skimpy "adult" costumes will show you why) but I liked the end result. This is my second year making handmade costumes and I'm hooked. It is so much more fun to make and wear costumes than to buy packaged ones (though I would make a concession for a deluxe Darth Vader costume in a second)!

TRUNK OR TREAT!
Matt's Rubik's cube costume was a hit!
Our only picture of Jonas grinning in his costume!
We got to the Trunk-or-treat after most of the kids had already made their candy rounds so we left with most of the candy we brought- which is unfortunate because neither Matt and or Jonas will be any help finishing it off. Maybe the kids in the neighborhood will be brave and visit the isolated house (there are no occupied homes next to us) at the end of the block tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment