Saturday, April 6, 2013

Galleria

I had two rules for myself for our "Artist" unit:
a) no picture-taking while "art" was being created, just enjoying me and Jonas creative time
b) no reproductions, I studied the techniques of artists, showed Jonas some paintings which we talked about in terms of colours, subject and brush-stroke, then Jonas did what he wanted

Matisse

(painting collage)

"Truck-car"


"Eva, Rhett, and Harland"

I hadn't even thought of Jonas making an arabesque painting after we looked at some of Matisse's paintings, it was all his thinking

Van Gogh

(bold strokes, lots of paint)

"Space"

Monet

(painting a waterfall he saw in Waterton on the weekend)

"Waterfall"

Jackson Pollock


"Scratch"

I never asked Jonas what he was painting until a painting was done and when he announced his names I wanted to laugh. He unveiled each of them with such dramatic flair.

Jonas' artwork feels so pure and fresh to me. It is completely uninhibited and free. He makes it purely for himself and the joy of it.

I only helped him through the art process by holding the paper while he cut for his collage and with the Pollock to show him the flicking action which he never caught onto so we just started pouring paint everywhere which Pollock also liked to do!

We were going to go to an art gallery but it was too busy! So we made an art gallery out of Jonas' artwork instead. Jonas was beaming when he showed Eva around his gallery and was even pretending to read the art cards to Eva about his paintings.

Jonas' favorite art books were "Sky Color", "Mouse Paint" and "I'm the Greatest Artist in the Ocean".

2 comments:

  1. I love them all- but especially "scratch"! That one is awesome. A true artist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING! Can I come be part of your art class? I feel like I'd learn just as much as Jonas!

    ReplyDelete