Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Fast as Joseph

"Having food and raiment let us be wherewith content". (1 Timothy 6:8)

Ever wanted to wealthy? Try reading "Approaching Zion" by Hugh Nibley. If someone tried giving me wealth after I had just finished one of his essays I would run as fast as Joseph from Potiphar's wife.

No, seriously.

"To take more than we need is to take what does not belong to us".

"Those who believe and obey the Gospel of the Son of God forsake all for its interests, belong to the kingdom of God and all the rest belong to the other kingdom".

"Shall we now seek to make ourselves wealthy in gold and silver and the possessions which the wicked love and worship, or shall we, with all of our might, mind, and strength, seek diligently first to build up the kingdom of God? Let us decide on this, and do the one thing or the other".

"Every step in the direction of increasing one's personal holdings is a step away from Zion, which is another way of saying, as the Lord has proclaimed in various ways that one cannot serve two masters: to the degree in which he loves the one he will hate the other".

He lays down the line- Babylon or Zion- no in between. Reading Nibley's words is kind of like immersing my head in glacier water. Initially the shock of it is uncomfortable and leaves me spluttering. But then my mind is clearer. I feel a tingly sort of glow and an eagerness to act. The Lord has been very direct in his answer to what I need to do to better keep an eternal perspective.

2 comments:

  1. beautiful words Royall. If only everybody could try and be more like Zion, myself included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary stuff! I think I better read that book!!

    ReplyDelete