Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Wheat Fields, Tree Rings & Chain Stitches

Or in other words, prioritize and refocus, be consistent, be an influence for good and persevere. It is a painful but renewing experience for me to reflect on what I want to become and what I am. Painful because the discrepancy between the two is frequently painfully apparent. Renewing because Christ's Atonement makes it possible for me to repent and because Heavenly Father does not require me to be perfect, but rather to learn and grow from my experiences and cultivate my potential as a daughter of God I have many weaknesses but I believe it is one of my strengths that I am aware of them, that I am emotionally honest with myself and that I earnestly desire to improve. When I last visited the temple I had two strong impressions- that I needed to re-prioritize and refocus my life on the most important things and that I had the capacity to be a great and righteous influence on others. I have also been reflecting a lot within the last year on ways that Matt and I can constantly have the spirit in our home so that our children can grow up in light, truth, and love, and on taking smaller more consistent steps towards improvement. A lot of my recent scripture study has centered on these ideas. Here are a few of the ponderings I would like to record as a reminder for myself.
Each family prayer, each episode of family scripture study, and each family home evening is a brushstroke on the canvas of our souls. No one event may appear to be very impressive of memorable. But just as the yellow and gold and brown strokes of paint complement each other and produce an impressive masterpiece, so our consistency in doing seemingly small things can lead to significant spiritual results. "Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great" (D&C 64:33). Consistency is a key principle as we lay the foundation of a great work in our individual lives and as we become more diligent and concerned at home".
Elder David E. Bednar

It’s remarkable how much we can learn about life by studying nature. For example, scientists can look at the rings of trees and make educated guesses about climate and growing conditions hundreds and even thousands of years ago. One of the things we learn from studying the growth of trees is that during seasons when conditions are ideal, trees grow at a normal rate. However, during seasons when growing conditions are not ideal, trees slow down their growth and devote their energy to the basic elements necessary for survival...Therefore, it is good advice to slow down a little, steady the course, and focus on the essentials when experiencing adverse conditions. They follow the advice “There is more to life than increasing its speed.”1 In short, they focus on the things that matter most.


Elder Dallin H. Oaks, in a recent general conference, taught, “We have to forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families.”2
The search for the best things inevitably leads to the foundational principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ—the simple and beautiful truths revealed to us by a caring, eternal, and all-knowing Father in Heaven. These core doctrines and principles, though simple enough for a child to understand, provide the answers to the most complex questions of life.
There is a beauty and clarity that comes from simplicity that we sometimes do not appreciate in our thirst for intricate solutions.When we look at the foundational principles of the plan of happiness, the plan of salvation, we can recognize and appreciate in its plainness and simplicity the elegance and beauty of our Heavenly Father’s wisdom. Then, turning our ways to His ways is the beginning of our wisdom.
As we turn to our Heavenly Father and seek His wisdom regarding the things that matter most, we learn over and over again the importance of four key relationships: with our God, with our families, with our fellowman, and with ourselves. As we evaluate our own lives with a willing mind, we will see where we have drifted from the more excellent way. The eyes of our understanding will be opened, and we will recognize what needs to be done to purify our heart and refocus our life.
- President Dieter F. Uchtdorf


Those who quietly and thoughtfully go about doing good offer a model of consecration. No one in our time more perfectly incorporates this trait into daily life than President Thomas S. Monson. He has cultivated a listening ear that can discern even the faintest whisper of the Spirit signaling the need of someone he can reach and help. Often it is in simple acts that confirm divine love and awareness, but always, always Thomas Monson responds.
     UAdd a Note

Let us simplify our lives a little. Let us make the changes necessary to refocus our lives on the sublime beauty of the simple, humble path of Christian discipleship—the path that leads always toward a life of meaning, gladness, and peace. For this I pray, as I leave you my blessing, in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, amen.
- D. Todd Christofferson
A consecrated life is a beautiful thing. Its strength and serenity are “as a very fruitful tree which is planted in a goodly land, by a pure stream, that yieldeth much precious fruit” (D&C 97:9). Of particular significance is the influence of a consecrated man or woman upon others, especially those closest and dearest. The consecration of many who have gone before us and others who live among us has helped lay the foundation for our happiness. In like manner future generations will take courage from your consecrated life, acknowledging their debt to you for the possession of all that truly matters. May we consecrate ourselves as sons and daughters of God, “that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope” (Moroni 7:48; see also 1 John 3:2)

Be not easily discouraged- small steady steps towards perfection. A good way to remind myself of this is to remember learning to crochet. My first stitches were clumsy and coarse but overtime those initially rough stitches have became smooth and steady. The more I work at something difficult the easier it will become. Sometimes there will be tough spots where I will relapse for a bit but as long as I am pushing forward I am always learning and progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment