Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Clifton Associates Ltd.


I have officially entered the working world. My first professional job is with an engineering firm called Clifton Associates. My classmate Blair Martin got me a job with Clifton last summer as a summer student where I was able to do alot of lab testing and supervising. I guess I mainly learned how to build a road properly. Although it seemed the contractor wanted to build a road which would fall apart, we struggled to keep them in line and I think we met somewhere in the middle.

The summer ended and I returned to school for my final year of engineering. Not far into the year, I found myself wanting to go back to work, mainly because I think I was tired of the endless homework hours I had put in over the last few years. Clifton was looking for a manager to run their office in Lloydminster, and when I spoke to them about it this last February I thought it would be a great opportunity. Royall and I decided to take up the Lloydminster challenge and now we are here.

My first week at the office went pretty smooth. The company is relatively small and I feel like I have support from the other engineers I work with. I am realizing that I have no idea how to run an office or any kind of engineering project for that matter. I am receiving calls like "Can you design a septic field for my acreage?" and "can you submit a proposal to do the pile inspection and concrete testing for the new firehall?.........this afternoon!" Wait a second, did I actually learn any of this in school? Regardless, my answer is always "of course I can", then I get on the phone with Saskatoon and ask them how to do it. I guess it is a fast way of learning, I just hope the Saskatoon engineers don't get tired of my phone calls.

Matty

No comments:

Post a Comment