Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Man Next To Me

Every morning the man next to me wakes up promptly at 7:00 a.m. He shaves, showers, and leaves the house looking so handsome in a crisp collared shirt that I can't let him leave without a kiss (mushy, I know, sorry). He draws up proposals for civil and geological projects, he goes to city councils and business meetings, he manages and supervises a staff. Gone are the days of sleeping in and leaving the house to catch the last bus that will take him to the university in time for his first class. Gone are the seven day beards, wrinkled t-shirts, and coming to bed weary from late night study sessions. I am going to miss my university Matt, but I sure love my sharp looking, less stressed, professional Matt too.

As for myself, I have been playing the part of a good housewife, cleaning and preparing lunch and dinner so they are hot and ready when Matt comes home. It has become a fun sort of game, but if I am being honest it is also a manifestation of my guilt, because I have only gotten two sub days and so I have been mostly lounging around the house reading teaching books (okay, and non-teaching books too). In my pajamas until 11:00 a.m.! Gasp!

3 comments:

  1. About AI.....I KNOW! But you have to admit that Kris is good too, musically and with his arrangements etc. He probably has wider appeal and Adam doesn't need AI to make it big any more. He is 'some' entertainer though - like wilbur:-) Love you!

    Also about Matt...good for him!! Does he fill like a bit of a poser? Or doeshe fell like a real grown up:-)

    And as for you...don't feel guilty at all.. this isn't' going to last long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like a picture of this professional Matt is needed... maybe even a before and after comparison. I cant believe what grown ups you two are. I'm totally impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Aunt Elizabeth! Matt just loves work so much more than school. The last two summers he has been doing civil/geological work so that part feels normal, but managing an office feels foreign to him.
    I just got a message from Dad saying Grandma isn't coming and Matt is feeling sick so I don't think we will be coming to Edmonton this weekend after all. We will definitely be coming through Edmonton at least once or twice this summer so we will let you know when we have dates.
    Love you!

    Melissa
    Hmmm...a before and after. That is a brilliant idea. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete