Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Please Superintendent Sir, I Want a Job

Five resumes later, on the day Matt and I were moving from our Saskatoon condo, the Lloydminster Public School Division Superintendent called me to set up an interview for a Grade Three Teaching Position. Last Friday the anticipated day arrived. Wearing a mane of wild curls and a bright magenta cardigan I was channeling Ms.Frizzle. The kooky, fun teacher all students want for their teacher (I got my "Ms.Frizzle" teacher in Grade Two, her name was Ms.Terhorst and she had tight fiery curls cropped close to her head, wore a thin red tie, and used phrases like "excellento!")

In the interview I smoothly connected my teaching experiences with the values of the school. I told jokes. I presented my skills in colorful boxes and sang an advertising jingle. I performed all the tricks I knew to get the job. Two hours later I received the call. It had been extremely close between another applicant and I, but the superintendent and principal had decided to offer the other candidate the job. The superintendent said he was very impressed with me and would recommend me to each principal who posted a position opening at their school, but I was bitterly disappointed. I had already seen the school, already visualized myself feeding the school bunny, Earl, carrots at lunch.

And then yesterday when I went into the Division Office to drop off my application to substitute teach, the superintendent asked me if I would come into his office. The other person had turned down the job offer and it was mine if I wanted. The teaching position is only until January (when the original teacher may return from her maternity leave) but there will likely be another temporary position available by then so I am planning to take it. I give my official reply on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment