Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The West Coast Trail



This summer my Dad and I are challenging the West Coast Trail, an 75 kilometer hiking trail along Vancouver Island's west coast. Well maybe it won't be a challenge for Dad. He is the ultimate outdoors-man and I doubt any adventure is insurmountable for him. There will be plenty to challenge me anyways: reading tide tables, hiking rocky terrain, climbing steep ladders, lugging a heavy pack, crossing fast-flowing streams and slippery log bridges, but I feel excited and determined to accomplish the hike this summer. I have been looking forward to doing it for over a year now. The views it offers of nature and wildlife are supposed to be breathtaking and it will be fun to spend a week with just Dad.

We are planning to go the first week of August. Right now we are studying information about the trail and organizing our equipment. I have already bought some goretex Saloman hiking boots and Teva sandals in anticipation of the wet weather we're very likely to encounter. Next on my list: goretex rain gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment