Thursday, October 18, 2012

Good Costume, Bad Costume

Dressing up is my favourite part of Halloween. The past couple years I have issued a challenge to myself to furnish my own costume with ingenuity and a maximum budget of $30.

The catch about dressing up though is that unless my costume lives up to my imagination I would rather forego the whole dressing up entirely. Because as awesome as it feels to have a great costume, it feels awful to be stuck in a lacklustre one for a hours.

The Harker and Sommerfeldt clans have planned an "Alice in Wonderland" costume theme this year and I was supposed to be Alice (three guesses who Rhett and Harland are being). I've been Alice before. My dress was a high quality Disney affair (Nana must have bought it) complete with a beautifully stitched white rabbit holding a pocket-watch and exclaiming "I'm late". My hair was dyed white blonde. Everything was done very proper. 

Well I couldn't find "the dress" within in my budget and my hair is short and if I couldn't be Alice properly than I wasn't going to be Alice at all.

So I switched to the flower garden. And it was so fun to pick out flowers and glue them onto my skirt and shoe-clips (I still need to fill in the sparse areas with a few more blooms). And the effect was just what I imagined.



Well my other costume collaboration is not a success. 

Matt and I and our best friends the Hunspergers are conspiring to be team "Hunkers" for a 5K. We're going in basketball gear and we'll bring a basketball and run and walk and do basketball group stunts and drills and it is going to be a blast because hanging out with the Hunspergers always is.

But I'm less excited about my shoddy basketball jersey (if you see it up closer there are blurry lines, smudges, and I've already spent as much time on it as my skirt).


1 comment:

  1. Im excited to see pictures. Your flower garden costume sounds adorable!

    ReplyDelete